Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Baked Tilapia with Red Potatoes


Oh my goodness did this ever turn out to be delicious. I was talking with my manager the other day and she was telling me about this great baked fish that her mom use to make. I asked her for the recipe but she ran out of time to send it to me before leaving out of town. I thought, I can whip this up with what she briefly told me about it. I was totally flying by the seat of my pants on this recipe. I was craving fish and what better way to make it then on a bed of red potatoes.

I'll be honest. I'm not very knowledgeable about fish. If it doesn't have a fishy smell then I'll buy it. I know, I know, not exactly the way to choose fish. Then again, that could also apply to how I pick out wine. I go by how pretty the label is. Sometimes I miss then sometimes I hit it right on the head. 

This was a really simple dish to put together and didn't take long to prep. I will say that I just purchased a mandoline slicer and WOW, why have I waited so long. I sliced those potatoes in a jiff. I don't have exact measurements for the spices, I just winged it but I'll try my best.

Baked Tilapia with Red Potatoes

5 red potatoes thinly sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2-4 Tbsp olive oil
1 red bell pepper
3-4 Tilapia fillets
Salt (approx 1-2 tsp)
Pepper (approx 1-2 tsp)
Fresh Dill (approx 2 Tbsp finely chopped)

Preheat oven to 350

1. Wash and thinly slice 5 red potatoes. Place the potatoes in a skillet with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic. Lightly brown the potatoes. About 5-10 minutes.
2. Take a 9x13 pan (I use glass). Lightly drizzle some olive oil on the bottom of the pan
3. Place the potatoes on the bottom of the pan. I used a couple of forks to move the potatoes around since they were hot.
4. Next take your 3-4 Tilapia fillets and place on top of the potatoes. Sprinkle the fish with salt, pepper and I used some lemon pepper I had. Top with some freshly chopped dill
5. Slice your red bell pepper and place on top of the fish.
6. Place in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes

The flavors all came together nicely. The sweetness from the red bell pepper, then crispiness of the potatoes and top that off with the nice Tilapia, you don't get any better. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment