Saturday, January 21, 2012

Spinach Pancakes


I was a little skeptical when I first came across this recipe for spinach pancakes. I am a creature of habit and a lover of any and all things pancakes. I knew that this recipe was not going to be your traditional pancake recipe and you weren't going to lather butter and maple syrup on it so of course I thought, what the heck are you to do with it? Well, let me tell you folks. This little recipe makes a tasty alternative to bread when making a sandwich. Better yet they are vegan, gluten and dairy free. Popeye would be proud.

This is a simple recipe in terms of ingredients and I whipped them up fairly quick. I don't own a food processor so I tried this in my blender and sadly it didn't work out so well. However, I did have a handy dandy little chopper that did the trick, although I had to chop in several batches. Bottom line, I got it work and it turned out GREAT! Now I decided to do something different and use these little green gems as an alternative to bread and the result was amazing!

This is also my first time using rice flour and chia seeds and I have to say that I am quite impressed by these little ingredients. After doing some research I discovered that the little chia seed really packs a punch nutritionally and is very versatile when it comes to cooking/baking.

I stumbled upon this recipe on Spabettie's blog.

Spinach Pancakes

3 cups (handfuls) fresh spinach
3 tablespoons chia
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon water (I ended up using about another tablespoon of water when mixing)
2/3 cup rice flour
Combine chia seeds with water, set aside to gel. Pulse spinach and chia gel in food processor until blended. Add flour and pulse until completely blended.
Pour in 1/4 cup increments onto heated griddle, flipping once when cooked through. Makes 10-12 pancakes 3 inches in size.
This is what it looks like after chopping the spinach and mixing in the chia seeds

I measured it out in a 1/4 measuring cup and spread out with a spatula  once on the griddle


My sandwich fixings
The finished sandwich
I spread some garlic hummus on the bottom, in the middle and top. Layered tomatoes, avocados and yellow bell pepper

1 comment:

  1. The funny thing is I don't like pancakes but I love bread so your recommendation to use the pancakes as sandwich bread has me very intrigued. I love healthy food and this looks so healthy, green and delicious :D

    BTW I just "tagged" you in a post to help more of my readers discover In the Kitchen with Michelle: http://theflirtyguide.blogspot.com/2012/01/blog-tag-youre-it.html

    ReplyDelete